Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cloth Diaper Carnival

From a Cloth Diapering Blogger Board here's a Discussion Prompt:

What do you wish you knew then that you know now? Meaning, now that are have experienced cloth first hand, what would you have told yourself when you first started or before you started?

Umm...everything!?!?


- Okay, honestly I wish that I would have known that it's okay to ask questions and not feel guilty about buying used.
- That buying a sample stash off Craigslist is a great way to try different types of diapers and see what works best for your diapering style and your baby. (ie. thick thighs, long waisted, etc)
- That CD'g is SO NOT what your mother/grandmother used to do, but you know what? (sssshhhhh...don't tell, but they are right about it being easier than I thought)
- That it is way cheaper than I thought.
- That my kids don't get nearly as many diaper rashes.
- That it's SUPER easy to corrupt, I MEAN, convince friends to try it. And then they are CD'g too.
- That husbands will try it, like it, if you make it easy for 'em. (stuffing the pockets already, lining the dipes already, etc) ps...it helps if you lay out the cost savings too!
- That CD'g moms on blogs are happy to help, answer questions, chat and pass along information. They're generally a good bunch!
- That DiaperSwappers can scare the beegeezus outta you if you let it.
- Not all baby's booties were meant for the teeny tiny 'boutique-y' diapers that cost $40 a pop.
- My baby loves me no matter what kinda diaper I put on his bum.

I'm sure there's more, but this is a good start!
Hally


3 comments:

Paula Cris said...

Really liked the post! And it's so true! I would have also told myself that sometimes it's better to not try to explain it too much... because unfortunately some friends will think you're a bit nuts and will try to convince you that you will change sooner or later... I heard that a few times when Marco was a newborn. But here we are one year later and going strong. I really think it was a good decision and it is working well for us,

Hally said...

Deborah - Glad that you found us! If you have a little one and want to be added to the rotation. Let us know!

Paula - Thanks! I agree with you about trying to explain. I don't brag/boast to my friends with kids about CD'g, but if they ask I'll answer ANY and everything. A good friend of mine made me laugh when someone asked her about CD when she was changing her daughter's PF at the park. "It's a cloth diaper, not the sphinx. There's not really a whole lot to 'figure out'. " HAHAHA

Paula Cris said...

that was funny!